By Richard Van Winkle, News of Mill Creek.
Every year, members of the city’s Art and Beautification Board tour Mill Creek and nominates residents who have put exceptional time and effort into their property's beautification.
The board then meets to review the gardens of all nominees and selects 12 homes to receive Great Garden Awards.
This year the Art and Beautification Board met on July 14th to select this year’s award recipients, and then went to the winner’s homes on August 11th to deliver formal award letters and signs for the winners to place in their yards.
Winners will display the yard signs in their yards until the first week of October at which time they exchange them for permanent award keepsakes.
In a press release Art and Beautification Board Chair Guy Armfield stated, "What I love about the great gardens of Mill Creek is their ability to shape a community, turning strangers into neighbors.”
He went on to say, “I love how the design of a landscape can make people feel inspired and how a garden can be functional and beautiful at the same time, helping citizens feel captivated instead of detached."
The award winners and their accomplishments will be recognized by the Mill Creek City Council during a virtual presentation at the September 28th city council meeting.
Here is a list of the 2021 Great Garden Award recipients:
- River Crossing: 14812 3rd Drive SE
- Huckleberry: 14412 27th Drive SE
- Parkside: 15511 27th Drive SE
- Vine Maple: 2014 140th Place SE
- Wildflower: 16304 21st Drive SE
- Huckleberry: 2515 143rd Place SE
- Brighton: 14706 31st Drive SE
- Sunrise: 3206 151st Place SE
- Brighton: 14610 32nd Drive SE
- Evergreen: 15020 18th Lane SE
- River Crossing: 14614 3rd Drive SE
- Vine Maple: 2227 140th Place SE
A Great Garden Award winner in the Wildflower neighborhood. Photo courtesy of City of Mill Creek.