Advertisement

Everett Fire investigators rule fatal Everett coffee stand fire an accident

Everett Fire investigators have completed their investigation of a January 7, 2016, coffee stand fire on Everett Mall Way that critically injured a 26-year-old woman and have ruled the fire an accident.

From an Everett Fire Department news release.

Everett Fire investigators have completed their investigation of a January 7, 2016, coffee stand fire on Everett Mall Way that critically injured a 26-year-old woman and have ruled the fire an accident.

According to a witness, the victim was using a small camping-style space heater to heat the stand, and was refilling multiple small cylinders from a standard 20 lb. propane tank.

The witness told investigators that he warned the victim that the smell of gas was dangerous and that she shouldn’t be in there.

It was apparent that an accidental release of propane vapor occurred immediately before a flash that caused the fire. The victim escaped from the stand through a window several seconds after the flash, but was critically injured. The victim died several days later at Harborview Medical Center.

Propane is an odorless gas, but contains an additive that smells like rotten eggs so people can detect it.

The Everett Fire Department urges citizens to leave their house immediately and call 911 if they encounter an unusual smell.

Tags: 

Our featured sponsor

Google ad