From an Everett Public Schools news release.
At their Tuesday, July 3, 2018, meeting the Everett Public Schools Board of Directors approved the process and timeline for qualified applicants to submit application materials the board will consider in appointing a successor to former member Ted Wenta.
Wenta created the vacancy when he resigned his position June 29th. The board accepted his resignation during their July 3rd regular board meeting. The board charged the superintendent with initiating the process to accept applications for board consideration in accordance with board policy and procedure.
“Individuals in our district may directly apply for the position if they are interested; people do not need to be nominated to apply for this position,” explained the school board president, Caroline Mason, who also noted that the superintendent will make available upon request a summary of school board member responsibilities and meeting dates.
Potential applicants are invited to review school board information on the district’s school board webpages. “People considering this position might find particularly helpful the background material online in BoardDocs,” Mason suggested.
To be qualified, an applicant must be a United States citizen, a resident within Everett Public Schools district boundaries and a registered voter.
APPLICATIONS accepted July 5th through Friday, August 24th at 4:30 pm.
- Interested citizens must submit application materials, which include:
1. A biographical sketch,
2. A statement about applicant’s interest in being a board member, and
3. His or her name, residential address, contact phone number, and email address.
- Application packets must be received by 4:30 pm on August 24, 2018, at Everett Public Schools, c/o Superintendent’s Office, 3900 Broadway, Everett, WA 98201, by U.S. Postal Service or in-person delivery.
- Application information may also be submitted by email to email@example.com and received by August 24, 2018, 4:30 pm.
Candidate nomination and application materials are subject to public disclosure under Washington’s Public Records Act.
Board selection process and timeline:
- On Thursday, September 6, 2018, the Everett Public Schools Board of Directors will convene at 1:00 pm to review the applications received by the submission deadline. Candidates’ qualifications will be discussed in executive session. The board will select up to five finalists in open session.
- Candidate interviews will be conducted in open session. Candidates selected for interviews will be given an interview time on September 12, 2018, with the first interview beginning at 3:00 pm.
- Following open session interviews, the board may recess into executive session to discuss candidates’ qualifications and then will return to open session to decide whom to appoint to succeed Wenta.
“Members of the public are encouraged to attend the public board meetings and interviews during this very important process,” Mason emphasized.