By Richard Van Winkle, News of Mill Creek.
At their May 21, 2019, meeting, the Everett School Board voted unanimously to change the district’s high school boundaries starting in fall 2020 to alleviate overcrowding at Jackson and Cascade High Schools.
The boundary change shifts Jackson High School students to Cascade High School, and Cascade High School students to Everett High School.
It follows the recommendation of the High School Growth Mitigation Committee made to the superintendent on April 19th.
The boundary changes will be phased-in to minimize disrupting the lives of current high school students as follows:
- Grade 9 in fall 2020.
- Grades 9 and 10 in 2021.
- Grades 9 through 11 in 2022.
- All grades beginning in 2023.
The school district plans to use portables to support the phased implementation as needed.
A conditional use permit from the City of Mill Creek has been approved to add three more portables on the tennis courts at Jackson High School in summer 2019, increasing the total number at the school to 20.
Student enrollment is increasing district wide, but especially in the south end.
A 2018 bond measure that would have provided funds for a new south-end high school failed to get support from the super majority of voters necessary for passage.
The bond measure received 55.4 percent “yes” votes, which was less than the 60 percent required.
According to the High School Boundary Committee’s report this boundary change will have the following effects:
- Reduces the student enrollment expected at Jackson High School in 2023 from 2,463 to about 2,068, a reduction of about 395 students;
- Reduces the number of portables needed at Jackson HS in 2023 from 26 to about 10.
- Increases the student enrollment expected at Everett High School in 2023 from 1,543 to about 1,918, an increase of about 375 students;
- Increases the student enrollment expected at Cascade High School in 2023 from 1,952 to about 1,972, an increase of about 20 students; and
- Increases the number of portables needed at Cascade High School in 2023 from five to about six. No portables are expected to be needed at Everett High School in 2023.
Here are detailed maps showing the high school boundary changes:
Jackson High School boundary changes. Image courtesy of Everett Public Schools.
Cascade High School boundary changes. Image courtesy of Everett Public Schools.