Advertisement

Fire District 7 firefighters respond to 52 fire and fireworks related incidents on the 4th of July

Fire District 7 firefighters battle flames on roof in 2017. Photo courtesy of Fire District 7.
Fire District 7 firefighters battle flames on roof in 2017. Photo courtesy of Fire District 7.

By Heather Chadwick, Fire District 7 Public Information and Education Officer.

The initial summary of fire and fireworks related incidents that Fire District 7 responded between 7:00 am on July 4th to 7:00 am on July 5th, 2018, are:

  • Total Incidents: 52.
  • Fireworks Incidents: 21 incidents.
  • Mutual Aid Given: 3 incidents.

Further review and analysis on total dollar loss and actual fire cause is currently being conducted.

Fire District 7 firefighters responded to 64 total fire and fireworks related incidents last year.

One firefighter reported to have sustained minor injuries due to fireworks when responding to an illegal burn.

All of the following incidents occurred on July 4, 2018:

At 11:05 pm, firefighters responded to a report of a garage fire at the 3700 block of 224th Street SE. As crews arrived on scene they saw a working fire on the side of the garage with thick smoke in the garage and in the house. Engine 73 quickly pulled a hose line to aggressively attack the flames. Firefighters were able to keep the fire from further spreading through the home. The residents were home at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.

At 11:26 pm a neighbor had reported a residential structure fire at the 2600 block of 159th Place SE. When firefighters arrived they found the roof of the structure on fire and the homeowner trying to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. Crews applied water on the exterior of the home while additional crews gained access to the attic space to check of a possible extension of the fire. After the fire was extinguished, firefighters tarped the hole in the roof and helped clean up the interior of the house. No injuries were reported.

At 11:35 pm firefighters were dispatched to a residential fire at the 4000 block of 214th Street SE. When crews arrived they saw the fire on the exterior of the home with the homeowner trying to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. Upon further investigation, firefighters found that the fire was being fed by a leaking natural gas meter that had melted. Crews worked to establish a safety perimeter and secure the gas line. Once the gas line was secured the fire was able to be extinguished. Additional air monitoring was completed to assure the natural gas supply was properly secured. The fire was contained to the outside of the structure, but caused some radiant heat damage to the neighboring house. No injuries were reported.

Tags: 

Our featured sponsor

Google matched content

Google ad