From an October 27, 2020, Mill Creek City Council agenda summary.
Each year, members of the City of Mill Creek’s Art and Beautification Board tour Mill Creek and take note of residents who have put exceptional time and effort into the beautification of their property.
The board firmly believes that it is the little things, like acknowledging someone’s green thumb, that contribute to a wonderful small-town feel.
In order to evaluate residents' gardens, Mill Creek was divided into eight zones. Each member of the board was assigned a zone and toured the neighborhoods within those boundaries to find their nominations.
The Art and Beautification Board then met to review all nominees and selected 12 gardens (one in each zone and then an additional four “at large” winners) to receive Great Garden Awards.
Chosen gardens exhibited great design elements, creativity, diversity, and overall beauty. It is apparent how much love has gone into the homeowner’s property.
The Art and Beautification Board met on July 8th to select this year’s award winners and delivered award notifications and yard signs to the 12 winners on August 20th. The temporary award signs have now been replaced by a smaller, permanent paperweight to keep in their home.
Great Garden Award recipients were recognized at the October 27th Mill Creek City Council meeting by Councilmember John Steckler and Art and Beautification Board members.
The winners of this year’s Great Garden Awards are as follows:
- 16317 29th Drive SE, Dennis Maher, The Highlands;
- 2227 162nd Street SE, Paul Gross & Sara Moskowitz, Chathum Park;
- 15808 25th Drive SE, Joe Dasilva & Lori Greenhaw, Heatherstone;
- 3021 149th Place SE, Barbara McCarron, Red Cedar;
- 15220 20th Circle SE, Phillip Dineen, Evergreen;
- 14513 16th Court SE, Cynthia Oster, Laurel;
- 2419 147th Place SE, Sachin & Julia Bulgannawar, Fairway;
- 2419 139th Street SE, Alexander & Kae Kwok, Heatherwood West;
- 3906 145th Place SE, Robert & Crispina Foss, Apple Tree at Thomas Lake;
- 3927 137th Place SE, Nancy & Craig Lee, Sunrose;
- 14115 24th Drive SE, Richard & Yvonne Vanni, Vine Maple; and
- 15027 3rd Drive SE, Dorothy Nerison, River Crossing.
Here is a list of the eight judges for the Great Garden Awards:
- Benjamin Briles, Former Chair.
- Vanessa Good, Vice Chair.
- Guy Armfield, Board member.
- Jeanne Smart, Board member.
- Ken Lowery, Board member.
- Michelle Edwards, Board member.
- John Steckler, City Council Representative.
- Kristen Rasmussen, City Representative.