By Pat Huckell, Mill Creek Women’s Club Publicity Chair.
Amazing things can happen when a community comes together and lends a hand up for women and children. And amazing things did happen at Mill Creek Women’s Club annual “Thanks for Giving Auction” held at the Mill Creek Country Club on November 18, 2015.
Every year our auction gets bigger and better thanks to the wonderful donations and support we receive from members, businesses, and the community.
All of the energy and effort that Women’s Club puts into creating this event is worth it when we hear from women like Sandra Dillings, who inspired us at the October luncheon when she told us how the YWCA and Pathways turned her life around.
We are proud to say that 100% of the $40,000 raised at the auction attended by 145 members and guests goes to the YWCA Pathway’s counseling programs for women and children in domestic abuse situations.
Members and guests had an opportunity to bid on beautiful gift baskets and items in three silent auctions.
The bidding frenzy for gift cards from local merchants was very popular and donations for the “hands up” auction for cash donations to the YWCA were very generous.
After a morning of bidding there was a break for lunch where guests enjoyed the Mill Creek Country Club Chef’s special family recipe lasagna, salad, bread and layered cake dessert.
Lunch was followed by some popular live auction items—including:
- A Seahawk’s football signed by Russell Wilson.
- A Puerto Vallarta getaway for seven nights for four adults at the Grand Luxxe.
- A round of golf for four, donated by the Mill Creek Country Club, including lunch and carts.
- Four Mariner tickets including parking.
- A women’s Trek bicycle donated by Gregg’s Cycle.
- A wine tasting of eight premium hand-selected wines for 20 adults donated by Total Wine.
- A private tour of the Woodland Park Zoo for 10 people, including tickets and a gift zoo basket.
- A gorgeous handmade quilt by Instructor and Designer Susan Mayer of “Quilting Discoveries.”
- A wine tasting for six at DeLille Cellars.
- “Soups On” homemade soups delivered six times a year by Karen Erickson.
- Tickets to the Impressionists at SAM.
- Two handmade eight-foot-tall wooden soldiers by Steve Albertsen, aka “Mr. Christmas.”
- A day at the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum.
- A Most Elegant Wine Basket.
- A Seattle Mystery Tour donated by Seattle Police Captain Neil Low.
We are still accepting cash donations for the auction for Pathways, so if you were unable to attend and would like to contribute, you can send a check to MCWC, PO Box 12453, Mill Creek, WA 98082-0453.
Our work for Pathways continues throughout our program year with members volunteering at Working Wardrobe, and monthly raffles at our meetings.
If you are a woman living in the greater Mill Creek area, you can be a part of the fun, make new friends, and help make your community a better place to live. There are so many ways to get involved.
Membership dues are $35 per year, and the luncheon and program cost is $28 for members and $30 for non-members.
Email Ann Thomas at email@example.com for reservations.
You can also get more information at our website at www.millcreekwomensclub.com, and look for us on Facebook.