The following article is being reproduced with permission of its author, Kate Towell. Kate is a holistic wellness counselor who supports individuals to create the balanced, vibrant life they imagine.
The change in weather and switch of season was my signal to mix up what’s on the menu for lunch. This recipe is my take on a salad that I fell in love with from PCC. It’s a perfect recipe this time of year and I love to serve it on a bed of fresh greens.
Farro is an ancient grain that has a hearty texture and rich nutty flavor. It is nutrient dense and along with the garbanzo beans makes this salad a protein powerhouse.
Perfect Protein Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup farro – or whole grain of your choice
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 med. red pepper
- 1 small cucumber
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- fresh or dried dill to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional other herbs you like to taste
- Cook farro or grain of your choice and let cool.
- Chop and mix all the salad ingredients together and blend in with the farro.
- In a separate bowl mix the dressing ingredients and then gently toss with the salad.
- Serve chilled on a bed of greens and top with optional feta cheese.
Wishing You Vibrant Living