From an October 21, 2021, Snohomish County press release.
The Snohomish County Arts Commission is seeking an artist for two-dimensional interior artwork that reflects the beauty of Flowing Lake Park will be hung inside the new Park Ranger lobby.
This unique call-for-artists is open until November 15, 2021.
It is unusual for parks to have opportunities for interior artwork, and the office lobby provides a unique opportunity to present two-dimensional art. There is a large public space within the building, and incorporation of an iconic visual piece would add to the park experience.
Within the lobby, there are three large wall spaces available, and Parks proposes to commission site-specific artwork that reflects the beauty and special experience of enjoying Flowing Lake Park.
Flowing Lake Park is a very popular facility, offering water access, day-use amenities, camping, a short hiking trail and gorgeous natural scenery. Due to the high use of this park, a number of improvements have been completed to improve the park experience and recreational opportunities.
Snohomish County purchased the Flowing Lake property in 1968 from the Leckie family, who had operated Leckie’s Resort on the site between 1925 and 1960. Development of the county park began in the early 1970’s. In 2014, funding through a Conservation Futures grant enabled the purchase of additional land, expanding the park from 38 acres to nearly 195 acres.
Reconstruction of the Flowing Lake Park entrance was recently completed. With a final project cost of approximately $2.1 million, this project provides improved circulation into and through the park, improved storm water treatment, and a new Ranger Office that is ADA accessible.
Address: Flowing Lake County Park, 17900 48th SE, Snohomish WA 98290
The Ranger Office/reception room is 23’x9’ with vaulted ceilings 10’ and 14’ at the peak of the vault.
Site visit can be made from 7:00 am until dusk Monday through Friday. Please coordinate visits with ranger staff via firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-799-9061.
Interior Lobby Art: Two-dimensional art: paintings, drawings, prints, photographs, or other media.
The budget is capped at $7,500, including for materials and installation.
The contract amount will be inclusive of all costs associated with the artwork.
Payment will be made upon successful completion and installation of the artwork.
The Snohomish County Arts Commission is SEEKING PROPOSALS for this call.
The competition is open to professional artists residing in Snohomish County. Artists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Appropriateness of the artist’s concept in relation to the project’s scope and settings.
- Responsiveness of the application narrative to the specific Call-for-Artists.
- Artistic quality and strength of past work as demonstrated in the submitted digital images.
- Durability, vandal resistance and safety of proposed artwork.
- Qualifications and experience of artist on past projects that indicate an ability to complete the construction of the final design.
- Liability coverage will be discussed with artist, if contracted.
A committee from the Snohomish County Arts Commission will review proposals. The Snohomish County Arts Commission reserves the right not to select any of the applicants.
- Call sent: October 15, 2021.
- Deadline for proposals: November 15, 2021.
- Arts Commission Proposal Review: December 13-17, 2021.
- Finalist Notified: December 21, 2021.
- Contract Process: By January 15, 2022.
- Art Completion: By March 30, 2022.