By Richard Van Winkle, News of Mill Creek.
Snohomish County will be starting construction on the Seattle Hill Road improvement project in April 2017.
They are hosting an open house at Mill Creek Elementary School between 5:30 and 7:30 pm on Thursday, February 23rd, in order to keep the public informed on this project as well as two other upcoming local road projects.
Snohomish County Public Works staff will be on hand to answer questions and to discuss potential road designs and project timelines with interested residents and commuters.
The open house will focus on the following three projects:
- Seattle Hill Road (35th Avenue SE to 132nd Street SE) – Construction begins April 2017.
- 35th Avenue SE Phase I (180th Street SE to Seattle Hill Road) – Construction scheduled to begin in 2018.
- 156th Street SE (35th Avenue SE to west of Forest View Elementary School and Gateway Middle School) – Construction not yet scheduled.
Seattle Hill Road Improvement Project
Widening this two-mile stretch of Seattle Hill Road is estimated to cost $13.5 million and is scheduled to begin in April 2017 and complete in 2018. Most of the construction will occur in each year’s summer months.
The Seattle Hill Road Improvement Project has the following benefits:
- It will ease traffic congestion during the morning and afternoon commutes by adding a center turn lane.
- It will reduce the risk of collisions by smoothing out the road’s curves and hills and improving sight distance.
- It will improve bike and pedestrian safety by adding dedicated bike lanes and sidewalks.
- It will improve storm water runoff quality by using tree-box filters, grass-lined retention areas, and below-ground water treatment.
35th Avenue SE Improvement Project
This Snohomish County project shouldn’t be confused with Mill Creek’s separate 35th Avenue SE project that addresses flooding.
The Snohomish County project is to add a continuous center turn lane, bike lanes, sidewalks, planter strips, and stormwater treatment to the section of the road between 180th Street SE and Seattle Hill Road.
Snohomish County is currently purchasing right of way and completing the design for the project.
Construction is anticipated to begin in 2018.
156th Street SE Improvement Project
This project is intended to improve the roadway and provide continuous sidewalks along 156th Street SE between Sunset Road and the Forest View Elementary School and Gateway Middle School facilities.
Work has begun on a preliminary design, which will be discussed at the open house on February 23rd, between 5:30 and 7:30 pm.
Editor's note: This article was revised to include the times at which the open house will occur.