By Leslie Hynes, South Snohomish County Fire and Rescue Public Information Officer.
A woman in her 50s died in an early-morning fire at a mobile home park in Mountlake Terrace on Monday, April 9, 2018.
Firefighters from South County Fire responded at 3:28 am to a 911 call reporting a fence on fire at 242nd Street SW and 56th Avenue West. They discovered a mobile home on fire behind the fence and called for dispatchers to send more firefighters and apparatus to the scene to assist.
The firefighters located the woman inside the smoke-filled mobile home. She died at the scene. A cat also died in the fire.
About 20 firefighters from South County Fire and Shoreline Fire Department responded and kept the fire mostly contained to one bedroom. Damage to the mobile home is estimated at $75,000.
Fire investigators believe the woman lived alone in the mobile home. Their work today was interrupted after they uncovered what appeared to be an explosive device while sifting through fire debris. A bomb technician was called and determined the device was a hand grenade that had been disarmed and modified for use as a cigarette lighter.
Fire investigators resumed work this afternoon, but do not expect to have information on the cause of the fire until later in the week. They said the fire did not appear to be suspicious.