Advertisement

Woman injured in south Everett duplex fire

One woman was injured and two dogs died in a fire at a duplex in the Mariner neighborhood south of Everett Friday afternoon, June 30, 2017.
Firefighters work to control hot spots. Photo courtesy of Fire District 1.

By Leslie Hynes, Snohomish County Fire District 1 Public Information Officer.

One woman was injured and two dogs died in a fire at a duplex in the Mariner neighborhood south of Everett Friday afternoon, June 30, 2017.

The fire was reported at 4:10 pm in a two-story, two-unit building at the Center Woods apartment complex in the 700 block of Center Road.

One half of the building was engulfed in flames when the first firefighters arrived from Mariner Fire Station 11 less than a mile away.

The injured woman was transported by firefighters to Swedish Mill Creek Emergency Room. Her injuries were not life-threatening. Firefighters also treated two boys at the fire scene. The woman and the boys lived in one of the units involved in the fire.

The fire filled the Mariner neighborhood with light gray smoke.

Firefighters from Fire Districts 1 and 7, Everett and Lynnwood responded. They had the fire under control in about 20 minutes, but remained on the scene for several hours dealing with hot spots.

The two apartment units are side-by-side in the building. The apartment where the fire started was heavily damaged, but firefighters were able to stop the flames before they could do much damage to the other unit. Most of the damage in that unit is from smoke and water.

Residents of both units will need to find another place to live as the fire left the building uninhabitable. Red Cross and Support 7 are providing assistance to seven residents, including four children – a family of four from the unit where the fire started and a family of three from the neighboring unit.

Neither family has insurance.

An investigator from the Snohomish County Fire Marshal's Office determined this fire was started when an electric heating element on the stovetop inadvertently got switched on and ignited nearby cardboard boxes.  Damage estimate is $175,000.

Editor's note: This article was updated to include the cause of the fire.

Tags: 

Our featured sponsor

Google ad