By Richard Van Winkle, News of Mill Creek.
On Thursday, October 15, 2020, the City of Mill Creek kicked off a grant program for small businesses negatively affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Also, grants will be given to service organizations providing COVID-19 relief programs in Mill Creek.
The city council approved grants totaling $600,000 for small businesses and $70,000 for service organizations out of the $927,000 federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding allocated to Mill Creek by the State of Washington.
At their regular October 13th virtual meeting Mill Creek Finance Director Jeff Balentine told the city council the city would utilize contract labor to market the grants directly to Mill Creek businesses and service organizations. He said the contractor would reach out to the businesses, explain the program, and even help fill out the application forms.
Balentine explained the completed grant applications have to be submitted to the city by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, November 4th, and awards would be announced on Tuesday, November 10th.
Here is the small business eligibility criteria:
- Physically located in Mill Creek with a current and active Unified Business Identification Number (UBI) and City of Mill Creek business license endorsement.
- Must have 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees as of April 1, 2020.
- Must demonstrate a minimum 25% reduction in gross revenues versus prior year (including a reduction of at least $10,000) due to negative impacts caused by the COVID-19 pandemic from April 1st to September 30, 2020.
- Must demonstrate a minimum of $10,000 of normal operating costs and expenses from April 1st to September 30, 2020. Grants awards will not exceed the documented COVID-19 related loss.
- Must not be involved in the production, processing, promotion, distribution, or sale (wholesale or retail) of marijuana and cannabinoid products, concentrates, or extracts; and
- Must meet all other eligibility requirements specified in the grant agreement and Federal terms and conditions.
For more information please click on the following link: CARES Relief Grant.