Google ad

Man escapes house fire after being awakened by smoke alarm

A man safely escaped from a burning house north of Lynnwood after being awakened by a smoke alarm on Wednesday morning, March 6, 2013.
Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 1 fought a Lynnwood house fire.

From a Snohomish County Fire District 1 news release.

A man safely escaped from a burning house north of Lynnwood after being awakened by a smoke alarm on Wednesday morning, March 6, 2013.

The man climbed out his bedroom window and called 9-1-1 from a cell phone to report the fire in his family’s single-story house in the 2200 block of 136th Pl. SW at 10:23 a.m. “The house was full of heavy black smoke. Without a smoke alarm, this fire could have been deadly,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Mukilteo responded and quickly brought the fire under control. They also rescued two dogs from the smoke-filled house. “The dogs were covered with soot and scared, but appeared to be in good health,” Hynes said.

Two firefighters sustained minor injuries. Both were transported to Providence Regional Medical Center to undergo precautionary examinations.

An investigator from the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire started in the mechanical system inside the lid of a fish aquarium in the living room.

Firefighters kept the fire contained to the living room, but there was smoke damage throughout the house. Damage is estimated at $35,000. The four residents – the man who escaped the fire, his teenage sister and his parents, who own the house -- will have to stay elsewhere until repairs can be made. They have insurance.

Tags: