By Lesley Van Winkle, News of Mill Creek.
During this dark and often dreary time of year it’s always fun to pile the kids in the car, bring along some hot cocoa to sip on, play Christmas music, and take a drive around local neighborhoods looking at Christmas light displays.
There are also several organized light displays throughout the area, some are free and others charge a small fee or ask for donations of canned goods.
Here are some suggestions; click on the links for more information, bundle up and enjoy the lights!
More than one million Christmas lights will be displayed in a spectacle spread over 15 acres at Warm Beach Camp in Stanwood, Washington.
The Lights of Christmas is the largest holiday light display in the Pacific Northwest that combines live entertainment, children's activities, food, holiday shopping and more.
- Where: 20800 Marine Drive, Stanwood, WA 98292.
- When: November 29-December 1, 5-8, 12-15, 18-23, 26-29, 2019; 5-10pm
- Cost: $13 to $18, (0-3 Free). Group rates available.
- Pay What You Can Nights (December 5, 12, 29, 2019)
Enjoy amazing light displays, music, a train, hot cocoa and cookies.
- Where: 3429 240th St SE, Bothell, WA 98021.
- When: 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm, December 1st through December 24th - Christmas lights continue after December 24th through January 1st, but the train display, hot cocoa, and free cookies end on December 24th at 10:00 pm.
- Cost: Free.
Garden d’Lights features over half a million lights, which transform the Bellevue Botanical Garden into a blossoming winter wonderland.
- Where: Bellevue Botanical Garden, 12001 Main Street, Bellevue, WA 98005.
- When: November 24 through December 31, 2019.
- Hours: 4:30 pm to 9:00 pm
- Cost: $5 per person; children 10 and under are free and do not need a ticket.
Board the Tour of Lights Train for an enchanting 20-minute ride through the rolling hills of the golf course. Along the way pass through polar bear forest, minion village, march of the penguins and other festive holiday displays. Enjoy music elements at the “Depot Train Station” and Santa’s Workshop and you may even get to visit with Santa!
- Where: Cedarcrest Golf Course, 6810 84th St. N.E., Marysville (360-363-8460)
- When: Wednesday-Saturday December 11-14, Wednesday-Saturday December 18-21 and Monday, December 23, 2019.
- Hours: 5:30 to 9:30 pm. or until tickets sell out. Space is limited. Tickets are issued day of only in the pro shop on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Cost: Admission is free, with donations accepted. Suggested donation is $5 per adult, $3 per youth, or $20 for the family.
Snowflake Lane is a magical evening performance for the entire family. It’s a holiday spectacle of live toy soldier drummers, exhilarating music, animated snow characters, glittering lights all surrounded by snow falling every night along Bellevue Way.
- Where: Between NE 4th to NE 8th on Bellevue Way. On the street between Bellevue Square and Lincoln Square in Bellevue, Washington.
- When: November 29 through December 24, 2019 at 7:00 pm.
- Cost: Free.
Experience a winter wonderland at Woodland Park Zoo’s annual WildLights!
More than 600,000 sparkling LED lights will recreate wild animals and wild places along the zoo’s pathways, along with many family activities including; snowball fights and visits with Santa and his reindeer.
- Where: There are two zoo entrances: 5500 Phinney Ave. N., Seattle WA 98103 and 750 N. 50th Street, Seattle WA 98103.
- When: November 29, 2019 - January 5, 2020. Open 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm nightly. Closed December 2, 3, 9, 10, 24, and 25.
- Cost: $12.95 (Child), $16.95 (Adult), Toddlers 2 and under free.
The neighborhood of Fir Grove in South Everett is popular for its annual tradition of many decorated homes and an amazing light display. Fir Grove is located close to the Silver Lake Costco at the intersection of 21st Avenue SE and 104th Street SE. Donations are taken for the Salvation Army and food donations for the Everett Food Bank.
Several Mill Creek neighborhoods go all out with Christmas lights, let us know if your neighborhood is one of them and we’ll include it in this article.