Sushi Zen recently celebrated their tenth year in business by hosting a huge party at their Mill Creek restaurant. During the party they were able to raise over $1,100 for the Red Cross Japan Tsunami Relief Fund with a raffle and a cash bar.
Kimiko and Daniel took over Sushi Zen back in 2003. They have worked hard to give the restaurant a cozy neighborhood vibe and became one of CitySearch’s top 10 best sushi restaurants their first year.
Sushi Zen’s most recent award was becoming one of Evening Magazines top 10 best sushi in Seattle in 2013.
One of the highlights of Sushi Zen’s 10th year anniversary party was the Kagami-biraki. According to Daniel, “Kagami-biraki is a ceremony performed at celebratory events in which the lid of the sake barrel is broken open by a wooden mallet and the sake is served to everyone present. Kagami refers to the lid of the sake barrel and biraki means ‘to open’ so kagami-biraki literally means ‘opening the lid.’ Because of the lid's round shape, the kagami is a symbol of harmony. The kagami-biraki, therefore, represents an opening to harmony and good fortune.”
Sushi Zen also raffled off an number of prizes to the guests in support of the Red Cross Japan Tsunami Relief Fund. Prizes included a one-night stay at a Japanese bed and breakfast, four Terrace club Mariners tickets including parking, Sushi Zen gift certificates, bottles of sake, and Mariners t-shirts and caps.
Daniel explained that he and Kimiko have worked hard to attract and keep their customers, “We have an awesome customer following. Many of our customers who walked in the door 10 years ago are still coming. They’re more than customers to us. More like family. We also have an amazing staff both front of house and back of house. Our chefs are top notch.”
Here are some toasts that Sushi Zen’s customers made during the 10th year anniversary party:
- Bob said, "I'm honored to do a toast at our first anniversary as well as the 10th year anniversary. Sushi Zen family is a part of my wife and my lives since the beginning!"
- Lisa said, "When the same sex marriage law passed last November, my partner and I called Kimiko right away and asked to do the catering for our wedding. We couldn't think of any other restaurant who cater for our special event!"
- Joy said, "Sushi Zen has great sushi chefs, great food, great service, great atmosphere. We love coming here."
- Bill said, "When we started coming here my son was only 2 years old. When he was growing up, he had a kid’s udon noodle. Now he is 10 years old, he is eating sushi and sashimi! The other day, he cleaned up my sashimi platter when I wasn't watching!!!"
- Robert said, "My girlfriend and I have been coming here 10 years. We feel so welcomed here every time we come!"